Great Bread Pudding In a Crockpot

Ma'shallah, so as you may have guessed I'm featuring crockpot recipes during this Ramadan. Their great because they save you time. This leaves you more time to do your extra prayers, Qur'an reading, charitable acts, teaching the children, visiting the sick, and so much more. Slow cooking meals allow you to economize on time, but not on flavor.
So last night was my attempt to salvage some old bread that was no it's way to being bird food. The results a great dessert after iftar, and tasty leftovers at sahoor. I've never been fond of bread pudding, but this one was a winner. (Alhumdulillah!)

Bread Pudding
Ingredients
• 8 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
• 4 eggs
• 1 cup almond milk
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup butter,palm oil shortening,or coconut oil
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavor
• ½ teaspoon coconut flavor
• 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 cup raisins

Directions: Place cubed bread in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, butter, vanilla, coconut and cinnamon. Stir in raisins. Pour over old bread; stir gently. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Great for sahoor or dessert after iftar Yield: 6 servings.

Note: I used 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of almond milk
You may also add about 1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut if your
a coconut fan like me. :)
We ate this at sahoor along with eggs, grits, and salmon patties. Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Couple q's, sis...
    Can I lightly toast bread if I don't have day-old?
    -Can I do half coconut milk/half cows? I also have evaporated and sweetened evaporated on hand, what combination would you recommend for a nice flavor and creamy yummy consistency?

    -I need about 10 servings... I have a 3-4qt crockpot and a 7qt, what do you recommend I use and how much should I increase ingredients and cooking time?

    -About how many slices of bread is 8 cups?

    -Any other add-ins you'd recommend?

    I'd like to make it tonight, insha'Allah!
    Shukran!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say make this recipe your own. Create a one of a kind unique bread pudding with it. I'm a very experimental type person. I think when a person has been cooking for a long time and they have a knack for it, they can usually gauge what can work and what wont.
    Blueberries would also be a good experiment with this recipe as well. The above recipe is my own version from another, so get creative with it. I think I answered your proportion questions of our facebook page. Inshallah you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete